This is the perfect breakfast food – wait, no – this is the perfect anytime food. I challenge you to limit yourself to just one spoonful of this deliciously creamy-on-the-inside, crispy-and-chewy-on-the-outside, dish. My little guy devours this delicious bread pudding in minutes, and I have absolutely no problem with that. After all, it does have all four food groups in one 8″ pan. You can always adjust the sweetness to your dietary needs and preferences.
- 6 thick slices french bread, day old works best (cut into 1″ cubes)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup raisins or chopped dates
- 1 apple, peeled and thinly chopped
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Spread bread cubes in 8 inch square baking pan. Drizzle melted butter, and sprinkle dates or raisins over top.
3. In a bowl, combine eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. Mix well, and pour over bread. Lightly push down with a fork until bread is covered and soaking up the egg mixture.
4. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or toothpick comes out clean.
Note: Want to enjoy this recipe for breakfast, but don’t want to bother with the prep early in the morning? This recipe refrigerates well. Make it the night before, leave it in the pan, and pop it in the oven when you wake up for a warm, delicious breakfast in the morning!
One thought on “Apple Cinnamon Bread Pudding”
This looks so good. I have a huge love for bread pudding, one of my favorite desserts!